Members of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party
The PKK issued a statement on Tuesday, saying the Turkish military airstrikes on its fighters violate a ceasefire agreed between the two sides two years ago.
“For the first time in nearly two years, an air operation was carried out against our forces by the occupying Turkish Republic army,” the PKK said in the statement, adding, “These attacks against two guerrilla bases at Daglica violated the cease-fire.”
The group added that the raids have not caused casualties among its members.
Turkish media reported earlier in the day that the military launched airstrikes on two PKK bases in the Daglica area in Hakkari Province close to the Iraqi border.
“F-16 and F-4 warplanes which took off from (bases in the southeastern provinces of) Diyarbakir and Malatya rained down bombs on PKK targets after they attacked a military outpost in the Daglica region,” Hurriyet daily said.
The strikes reportedly followed three days of PKK shelling on a military outpost in the Kurdish-majority province near the Iraqi border.
Ankara launched a peace process with the PKK in 2012 to end the Kurdish struggle for independence.
The PKK declared a ceasefire with Turkey last March after the PKK’s jailed leader Abdullah Ocalan ordered an end to the armed campaign for autonomy.
The attacks come as Kurds in Turkey are angry at the government for preventing them from crossing into neighboring Syria to join the fight against ISIL terrorists in the Syrian Kurdish town of Kobani.
Ankara also refuses to intervene along its border with Syria where ISIL militants have besieged the mainly Kurdish town.
According to reports, the Takfiri militants have taken half of the Syrian city.