The BBC’s Jim Muir: “The casualties are mounting”
More than 100 people have been killed and 1,500 injured at a protest held by supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi in Cairo, doctors say.
The army ousted Mr Morsi on 3 July. He has been formally accused of murder, relating to a 2011 jail outbreak, and of links to the militant group Hamas.
Both pro- and anti-Morsi demonstrators held huge protests overnight in the capital.
The anti-Morsi camp occupied Cairo’s Tahrir Square in support of the army, after its chief, Gen Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, had urged people to demonstrate to provide a mandate for its intervention.
Meanwhile, tens of thousands of Morsi supporters continued their sit-in protest at the mosque in the Nasr City area.
On Saturday, Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim vowed to end the sit-in, saying local residents had complained about the encampment.
He said the protest would be “brought to an end soon, and in a legal manner” with an order from the prosecutor, although this has yet to happen.
The BBC’s Jim Muir in Cairo says the latest violence is the most serious since the army’s intervention to remove President Morsi, but this does not appear to have been a planned campaign to clear the area around the mosque.
‘Shooting to kill’
It appears that clashes began after some of the Morsi supporters tried to block a main road in the area, and security forces responded.
The state news agency Mena quotes a security official as saying they had been trying to stop fighting between rival sides, and that eight security personnel had been injured.
The official added that live fire had not been used, only tear gas.