BEIRUT (AFP Nearly 100 civilians have been killed in a two-month offensive by Turkey and allied rebels in northern Syria, a monitoring group said on Monday.
No comment could be immediately obtained from Turkish officials, but in the past Ankara has disputed accusations of civilian deaths in its campaign.
The “Euphrates Shield” operation was launched in northern Syria on August 24 to fight both the Islamic State jihadist group and a Kurdish militia that Ankara considers a “terrorist” group.
Since then, Turkish air strikes and shelling as part of the assault have killed 96 civilians, including 22 children, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The Britain-based monitor said rebels involved in the assault were leading the fight on the ground with Turkey lending heavy firepower — mostly air strikes and artillery fired from Turkish soil.
“Ninety-two of the civilians, mostly Kurds, were killed in areas controlled by the Islamic State group,” said Observatory head Rami Abdel Rahman.