A suspect was in custody after a shooting at a high school north of Los Angeles, the police said. They said the suspect was a student and he carried out the attack on his birthday.
A suspect described as a 16-year-old male student was in custody and being treated at the hospital, the police said. Today was his birthday, and, according to the authorities, he pulled a handgun from a backpack and shot five people before turning the gun on himself.
Here’s what you need to know:
- The gunman shot five people before turning the gun on himself, the police say.
- A student says he ‘grew up knowing this is a thing that happens.’
- A father of two children at the school described seeing students ‘huddled together in tears.’
- California has seen many mass shootings in recent years.
- California’s strict gun laws can’t keep out weapons from other states.
- American school students are all too familiar with the threat of shootings.
- Democratic presidential candidates put a spotlight on gun violence.